Schools, especially college campuses, often have many assets spread across multiple facilities, with high-value technology frequently going back and forth between them. Tracking equipment and supplies is a challenge in any school, and record keeping can easily become a nightmare due to misplaced assets, forcing busy faculty and staff to waste precious time tracking down audio visual devices, laboratory equipment or other supplies. If the equipment can't be found, many schools stretch their already tight budgets to unnecessarily purchase or rent replacements.
Metalcraft specializes in asset tracking, especially in the education world. Tracking educational resources can be done with barcode or RFID technology, helping to maximize their use and keeping school budgets in line and on target, exemplifying ID Made Better®.
The importance of using asset management software in schools
Asset tracking software can be incredibly valuable in schools, where there are often many different assets needing to be tracked, including computers, tablets, projectors and more. Here are some of the key benefits of using asset tracking software in schools:
- Improved accountability - schools can track who is responsible for each asset, when it was checked out, and when it is due to be returned. This helps ensure assets are not lost or misused and that everyone is held accountable for their use of schools resources.
- Reduced losses - asset tracking software can help schools reduce losses of valuable assets, such as computers or tablets by keeping track of the asset's location and who is responsible for it.
- Efficient resource allocation - by tracking asset usage over time, schools can identify which assets are being used more frequently and which are underutilized. This information is helpful when making decisions about resource allocation, ensuring limited resources are used most efficiently.
- Simplified maintenance - asset tracking software can help schools keep track of when assets are due for maintenance or repairs and schedule those tasks in advance reducing downtime and extending the lifespan of the asset.
What are the benefits of implementing asset management in schools?
Implementing asset management in schools can bring several benefits, including:
- Improved organization - schools can better organize their equipment, supplies and technology; helping reduce waste, improve efficiency and save time
- Cost savings - by tracking assets and ensuring proper maintenance, schools can reduce costs associated with lost or damaged equipment
- Better decision making - asset management provides schools with data and insights that can be used to make informed decisions about purchasing, maintenance and equipment replacement
- Increased security - asset management can help schools secure their equipment and technology by tracking their location and use, reducing theft and ensuring proper usage
- Compliance - asset management can help schools comply with regulations and standards related to the use and maintenance of equipment
In addition, having a solid asset management program in schools allows for better planning and maximization of the assets being tracked. An example of this can be seen in our case study with Tehachapi School District, where the use of RFID allowed them to have a better understanding of the equipment they had on hand.
What are some essential features in a good school asset management plan?
Planning and implementing an effective school asset management program is essential to ensuring it will meet expectations. We've created two tools to help - our Ultimate Guide to Asset Tracking - and its supplemental piece the Ultimate Guide to Asset Tracking Checklist. Both tools contain valuable information and will walk you through the process of putting an effective asset management system together step by step. Here are some essential features to a good school asset management plan:
- Asset inventory - a comprehensive inventory of all assets owned by the school should be created and updated regularly. It should include such details as purchase date, cost, location and any relevant warranties
- Asset tracking - a system for tracking the movement of assets within the school including transfers between departments and individuals, repairs, maintenance and disposals
- Maintenance and repairs - a schedule for regular maintenance and repairs of school assets should be established, including procedures for reporting and addressing any issues or damages
- Budget and funding - the plan should include a budget for asset management, taking into account the cost of purchasing new assets, maintenance, repairs and disposal
- Asset disposal - procedures for disposing of assets that are no longer needed or functional should be established. This can include selling, donating or recycling the asset
- Security and safety - the plan should include measures to ensure the security and safety of school assets, such as locking storage areas and monitoring access to sensitive equipment
- Staff training - staff should be trained on the proper use, care and maintenance of school assets to ensure their longevity and efficiency
What factors should you consider before purchasing school asset management tools?
When considering purchasing school asset management tools it's important to take the following factors into account:
- Features and functionality - look for tools that provide features and functionalities that can efficiently manage your school's assets
- User-friendliness - ensure the software is easy to use and requires minimal training for staff
- Integration with existing systems - check if the tool can integrate with your current school management software or other systems you use
- Security - ensure the software has adequate security measures in place to safeguard sensitive information
- Scalability - consider a tool that can grow with your school's needs
- Cost-effectiveness - ensure the tool's cost is within your budget and delivers value for the money
- Customer support - ensure the software vendor provides adequate customer support
School asset tracking with barcode labels
A school asset tracking program using barcode labels provides the foundation for an effective automated asset management system. Benefits of barcode labels include:
- Reduction in errors - typical manual data entry causes one error in 300 characters; barcode nearly eliminates errors
- Time savings - routine manual data entry can take several minutes per asset where barcode takes mere seconds
- Improved efficiencies - less time is spent on the data entry process and follow-up error resolution
- Overall cost saving - reducing errors, saving time and overall improved efficiencies lead to cost savings across the board
Metal Barcode Nameplates combine reliability with the durability you have come to expect with any Metalcraft product.
Tabbed Metal Barcode Nameplates have a convenient break-away tab to assist with liner removal.
An ideal solution for indoor asset tracking, “VALUMARK” Labels are an effective and affordable identification solution.
Metalized Silver Polyester Labels have the appearance of metal without the accompanying price tag.
Metalcraft’s Premium Polyester Barcode Labels provide both flexibility and functionality for your asset tracking needs.
Our flexible Foil Barcode Labels conform to surfaces while withstanding chemicals, abrasion, solvents and high temperatures.
Secure valuable assets and deter theft with Metalcraft’s Destructible Labels!
Discourage theft and keep your property intact with Metalcraft’s Tamper-Evident Barcode Labels.
Metalcraft’s Premium StyleMark Labels use a flexible polycarbonate material with a textured, non-reflective finish.
Our CRAFTMARK Polyester Barcode Labels are printed using our thickest polyester and a .0035” thick adhesive.
Gain the advantage for your asset tracking solution with Metalcraft’s ID Advantage Barcode Labels.
Education Industry Sourcebook
Asset management applications in education - includes real-world case studies for both barcode and RFID.Download Now
From The Asset Tracking Blog
Mar 29, 2023
Asset Tracking in Education
In our latest industry sourcebook - Solutions for Education - you will find valuable information on asset tracking in schools as well as real-world case studies of customers reaping the benefits of asset tracking in their schools using such auto id technologies as barcode and/or radio frequency identification (RFID).
Mar 02, 2023
Role of Technology in Tracking Science Lab Equipment
Technology plays a crucial role in tracking science lab equipment. Technology allows scientists and lab managers to accurately monitor all lab equipment's usage, maintenance, and location.
Mar 02, 2023
Introduction of RFID in Schools
Introducing RFID technology into schools can be a difficult process. However, with assistance from Metalcraft, our customers can successfully implement an education asset tracking solution.
Education Case Studies
School Asset Tracking Makes Good "Cents"
Calhoun County School District partners with Metalcraft to track district-wide assets.
Head Of The Class
A great partnership stands the test of time. Learn about how Bar|Scan, Inc. partnered with Metalcraft to provide Wake County Public School District with an asset tracking solution.
Lesson In Asset Tracking
By teaming up with Matchbook Learning, Metalcraft provided asset tracking solutions for IT devices by using the Tabbed Metal Barcode Nameplate.